A round-up of what's new in the App Store, Google Play, BlackBerry World and Windows Phone Store
New Apple iPhone 5 launched
New iPhone 5 with Apple's Phil Schiller
Apple has launched its eagerly-anticipated new iPhone 5 at an event in San Francisco on Wednesday evening; it brings with it a new design that is a full 20mm thinner than the iPhone 4S - and we have the the pictures.
Highlights of the new phone include:
- An A6 processor chip for "twice as fast" graphic processing and will help the camera snap photos 40% faster
- Available in either black or white
- Camera remains 8 megapixels but front camera is now 720p, and there's a sapphire lens crystal cover for durability and improved low light performance
- It will work with Everything Everywhere's new 4G network in the UK - which promises blisteringly fast home-broadband style speeds from your smartphone
- 4-inch display is 30% thinner and is now in perfect 16:9 aspect ratio - which should be great for HD movies. Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller claims the screen has 44% more colour saturation - 'the most accurate display available.'
- It weighs just 122 grams
- New connector called 'Lightning' is 80% smaller - if you have a current iPhone dock, you'll need to get an adapter to use it with the iPhone 5
- There are now three microphones for improved voice recognition and noise cancellation.
- Panorama feature allowing stitching together of photos now built into camera - no need for third-party app - and gives effective 28 megapixel images
- Phone runs iOS version 6 - optimised for the new display
- Release date of September 21st in the UK - Apple promises its 'fastest roll-out ever.' Price will be same as current iPhone 4S. iPhones 4S and 4 will remain on sale.
- iOS6 released on September 19th.
See also: Apple iMac (2012) review